Get Quotes From Local Pros.

Zip code:      Type of work:
<< Back to List of Articles

Batt and Roll Insulation

Batt and Roll Insulation, also known as blanket insulation, is the most common type of insulation for additions, remodels, and new homes. It's called batt and roll insulation because of the way the product is packaged for sale. The product usually looks like a big pink ball of fur and is installed simply by laying it out in the designated area. This insulation consists mainly of fiberglass particles but could also be made from mineral (rock and slag), wool, plastic fibers, and natural fibers such as cotton and sheep wool.

This insulation works very well because of it's available widths, which are suitable for the standard spacing of wall studs, trusses, rafters, and floor joists. Rolls can easily be cut and trimmed to fit the job. Manufacturers usually attach a facing called kraft paper to act as a vapor and/or air barrier. Batts with a special flame-resistant facing are available for basement walls and places where the insulation may be left exposed.

Standard fiberglass blankets have a thermal resistance, typically called an R-value, between R-2.9 and R-3.7 per inch of thickness. High-performance blankets have R-values between R-3.7 and R-4.4 per inch of thickness and are used in much colder temperatures.

Our service is a 100% free and fast way to get estimates from local contractor pros in your area!
Get started today to take advantage of this incredibly easy and free service.